An in-ground pool’s pump is considered as the “heart” of the pool. Many see as the pool as something that is fun to take a dip in. But what they don’t know is the expensive and difficult to maintain machinery behind it.
Now that you are aware of the importance of a pump, if you are either getting a new one for your newly constructed pool or going to replace your old one, you should know what to look for an in-ground pool pump. These machineries don’t come cheap; you really need to find one that will last decades without problems.
Why is a pump important?
Most swimmers do not see and do not give much care to the pump because it is tucked deep in a pump room or storage room. Sometimes they are not aware that the pump is the reason why they have a nice clean water to swim in.
The pump works by having an electric motor that spins an impeller inside the pump housing. In turn, the impeller pushes filtered water out to the water inlets. Before water flows into the pump, it is being strained by a basket that catches leaves and other debris. Then the filter will clean the water.
The pump and the filter system are also connected to a water line so that fresh clean water can be added to the pool. This is to add water that has been lost due to evaporation, splashes, etc.
What are the factors to consider when getting an in-ground pool pump?
Size – Pumps consume a lot of power, from 700 to 2,000 watts. Because of efforts of lowering down consumption and subsequently paying less for electricity, many manufacturers have made their pumps more eco-friendly. Upgrading your old pump to a new energy efficient model can save you up to $1,000 per year.
You also need to consider the size of your pool; you might be getting a pump that is too large for your pool that it doesn’t need. Some manufacturers offer free size upgrade when you purchase your pump. Don’t fall for this; get the right size of the pump that you need. It is less expensive to run your pool water pump if you have the right one in place.
Noise – Pumps generally run with less noise. Sometimes there are factors that can cause the pump to be really noisy. Therefore, you should check if your pump is undergoing any of the following problems:
- Improper pump mounting – Vibration can cause noise. To lessen this it needs to be bolted down the mounting pad.
- Air Leak – An air leak in the pump can cause to load cavitation and subsequent noise.
- Worn impeller – If the impeller is worn out, it can be wobbling and rubbing on the inside of the diffuser, causing noise.
- Bad bearings – When bearings get worn or wet, it gives out a loud humming sound until the bearings break. Make sure to always check it, as this one is the most common source of motor noise.
Speed – Pumps come two-speed, four-speed, and variable-speed models. Replacing your single speed motor to the above will give you the option to turn the speed down for daily regular use, which saves a lot of energy, or turn the speed up for more thorough, less frequent cleanings. Having these options add to the eco-friendliness of your pump.
Maintenance – Even though a pump is contained and away from environmental conditions, it is still necessary to check on the pump from time to time to ensure that it is functioning correctly. Always check for moisture; water leaks that cause moisture is the nemesis of bearings.
Parts of the motor can also easily be worn out if it is exposed to sprays or windblown rain. Also check if there is proper insulation around the motor and if the vents and air inlets are clear and free from dust build-up and debris. When the pump is not in use, ensure that it is thoroughly clean and dry before covering it to avoid rust and corrosion.
What are the recommended in-ground pool pumps?
Hayward EcoStar VS Variable-Speed Pool Pump Energy Star Certified
- One of the industry's most energy-efficient pool pumps at any speed. Exceptionally quiet compared to single speed pumps
- ENERGY STAR Certified and compliant with industry regulations including Title 20 and APSP 15; eligible for local utility rebates
- Permanent magnet, totally enclosed fan cooled (TEFC) motor offers incredible efficiency and reliability. Fully programmable, touch pad control can be rotated to four different positions or mounted to the wall for more convenient access
Hayward is known for its decades of creation of pumps and other swimming pool machineries and accessories. If you are searching for a reliable and eco-friendly model of pump, then this one is the best for you. The only downside for this is that it comes in a steep price.
In the long run, you will be able to save thousands of dollars because of its efficient energy consumption. Its super-efficient permanent magnet motor saves up to $1,500 in energy costs year after year. It is fully programmable, with 24-hour time clock with up to eight custom speed and timer functions.
Pentair SuperFlo Single Speed Energy Efficient Pump
- The industry's workhorse - recognized for reliability and performance
- Exclusive swing-away hand knobs makes for easier strainer cover removal: no tools required, no loose parts and no clamps
- See through strainer cover lets you see when basket needs cleaning and eliminates guess work
Pentair is also known as one of the most popular brands for swimming pool machineries and accessories. It features thick walled body parts, a heavy-duty 56 square flange motor and highly engineered hydraulics. Although made from heavy-duty parts, this pump is extremely quiet.
The only downside for his pump is being in Single Speed; meaning you won’t be able to control its speed and lessen power use when not required. However, for the price, this is a good buy considering that it is energy efficient.
Jacuzzi Magnum Force In-Ground Swimming Pool Pump
- Features an energy efficient motor with an air-cooled heat sink that protects it against running dry
- Reinforced one-piece strainer housing holds one of the largest strainer baskets in the industry
- Ring lock design provides easy access to the impeller and inner components
This pump has an energy efficient motor with an air-cooled heat sink that protects it against running dry. It is composed of quiet running, heavy-duty, self-priming parts that doesn’t wear down easily. It also features easy to open lid, tool-less thumbscrew drain plugs for easy installation and removal. Like the Pentair pump, this one runs in Single Speed.
When searching for the right in-ground pool pump, make sure to consider things like energy efficiency, maintenance, and durability. Get one that will last you decades or a lifetime simply because these don’t come cheap and installation, parts replacement, or repairs can be a hassle. Energy efficient pumps can also save you a great amount of money that you can use to improve the aesthetics of your pool.