Protecting your in-ground pool especially when the winter months start to loom is very necessary if you want to prolong the life of your pool. If you are considering on building an in-ground pool, a cover should immediately come with it or if you haven’t purchased one yet, now is the best time to do so.
In-ground pool covers shield your swimming pool from dirt and harsh weathers to prepare it for easier cleaning when spring comes. It is also more convenient for you, the pool owner, because a cover protects from weather damage, thereby extending the life of the pool and lessening any maintenance and repair costs, all for just a fraction of the price.
An in-ground pool cover is not expensive; but you still have to consider a lot of factors so you are certain that you got the right one.
What to consider in choosing an In-ground Pool cover?
Size – Make sure to get the size and dimensions of your pool before going shopping for covers. This is to ensure that the cover will fit well and hold up under the harsh weather conditions. It shouldn’t leave any gaps or cracks for debris to enter the pool. You should consider using water bags or aqua blocks to secure the cover as tightly as possible.
Material – Manual operated in-ground pool covers are difficult to install without someone’s help. If you would be installing it on your own, consider getting a material that is lightweight yet durable. A good example is a mesh in-ground pool cover that is not too hard to handle. Some people however, don’t like to trouble themselves with the installation; they pick automatic covers. In this case, the cover needs to be installed by professionals.
The materials that you should get also depends on what weather you get. Assuming you live in a region where it snows or freezes, then a pool cover is an absolute necessity, even though it is very appealing to have frozen water to skate on.
Freezing water can cause massive damage and repairs could be extremely expensive. A good pool cover that is able to warm the pool during very cold months is the:
Swim Time Rectangular Solar Blanket for In-Ground Pools
- UV-RESISTANT - Built for the outdoors, this Rectangular 12-mil Solar Blanket for In-Ground Swimming Pools can withstand exposure to UV radiation and will tolerate even the most intense sunlight.
- INNOVATIVE HEAT SOURCE - Our technology employs insulating thermal bubbles that trap heat from the sun. These innovative cells retain warmth for effective heat retention even through cool summer nights and cloudy days.
- EXTENDS THE SEASON - This thick 12-mil blanket uses passive solar heating to increase your swimming pool's temperature up to 15 degrees Fahrenheit.
Accessories – Pools shouldn’t be drained completely during winter months because in-ground pools can pop out of the ground when they do not have any water. Therefore the use of air-pillows is necessary to prevent the expansion of ice in aboveground pools. It is advised to drain the water below the skimmer. Completely drained pools may also become the breeding area of insects and mosquitoes and cause the growth of algae.
Security – The in-ground pool cover of your choice must be tamper proof. Meaning, it can’t be removed without using a special device. This is for the safety of children and pets so they won’t be able to open it in curious desire. Other people or vandals also won’t be able to access your in-ground pool.
Maintenance – Can your in-ground pool cover resist dirt, mold, and mildew? You should get a cover that is chemically treated to protect itself from these factors. Apart from being treated, maintaining your in-ground pool cover depends on how you care for it.
You should always remove any tree leaves, branches, nuts, or other loose debris that fall to your cover and from time to time, scrub the cover with a soft brush and a gentle cleanser.
Durability – Find a cover with materials that can last a lifetime. These are generally more expensive, but in the long run, it saves you money, as you don’t have to keep replacing it. Get something that won’t tear, rip, crack or fade. The most used material for pool covers are vinyl and mesh.
Mesh typically lasts longer than vinyl. An example of a durable mesh cover is the:
Defender Rectangular In-Ground Rugged Mesh Winter Pool Cover
- Pool size: 16 feet x 32 feet
- Cover size: 21 feet x 37 feet
- Number of 8 feet water tubes needed: 12
Vinyl on the other hand, is good for not allowing sunlight to pass through as well as rainwater. With a mesh cover, the dirty water will just pass right on through to the pool water. If you want to get the best of both worlds, you may want to consider getting a lightweight vinyl such as the:
Defender 8 Year Rectangular In-Ground Pool Cover
- Pool size: 20 feet x 40 feet
- Cover size: 25 feet x 45 feet
- Number of 8 feet water tubes needed: 16
Why should you cover your In-ground Pool?
If you are not convinced yet as to why you need an in-ground pool cover, we have listed its important benefits that you should take into consideration:
- In-ground pool covers prevent accidents where children and pets may fall or worse, drown. Kids mostly aged from five below like to wander off on their own and might accidentally drop to your uncovered in-ground swimming pool. Even if you don’t have kids or pets, you should still consider an in-ground pool cover to avoid other people from accessing your pool, especially if you will be away for long.
- The cover will protect the surface of your pool and keep it clean. It keeps tree leaves, branches, nuts, sap, and other debris from getting into your swimming pool. This will help keep the pool sanitary and clean while you aren’t using it.
- It protects your pool from harsh weather, especially during the winter months.
- It keeps your pool free of algae during the off-season because the pool cover protects against sunlight. The heat can cause moisture that will in turn, turn into mold and mildew or produce algae.
- It lessens the risk of having expensive repairs. When water freezes, it can cause problems in the in-ground pool’s plumbing and filtration system.
After the winter season has passed and you can once again enjoy swimming, the in-ground pool cover may be easily removed, cleaned, and stored. Because it has done its job in protecting your in-ground pool for several months, it is easier for you to clean your pool and have it up and running again.
It has also protected your pool from possible damage, saving you bucks that you can use to improve the appearance of your pool. Not only that, by using an in-ground pool cover, you have eliminated the risks of accidents and drowning. In-ground pool covers may seem like a big investment but in the long run, it is definitely worth it.