If you can’t imagine taking a deep in a “green” pool, not the eco-friendly green but the slimy green kind, then an in-ground pool cleaner should be a staple in your storage room. An unkempt pool will breed all types of bacteria and microorganisms and will result to green, slimy, algae-full pool. Improper sanitation may also result to non-existent visual clarity of water and transmission of infectious diseases.
Proper sanitation should also be done regularly; cleaning your pool only once after a long while is no different than not cleaning it; it will just be more difficult as the walls and floors will be covered in dirt, not to mention you have to replace the entire pool tank with clean water, which can be really costly.
Filtration of the pool pump alone is not enough to clean your in-ground pool. You need to add something that would lessen the burden of the filter and improve the cleanliness of not only the water, but also the walls and floors. There are many types of in-ground pool cleaners but the popular ones are through the use of vacuums and robots.
What are the types of in-ground pool cleaners?
Manual Pool Cleaner – This is the type that involves work on your end, as you’ll have to manually tread all over the pool to ensure that everything is clean. You need to use a vacuum that you need to run on the walls, pool floor, and steps.
Buy a manual cleaner only if you have time to do the work yourself or you can pay someone to do it for a minimal amount, if you have a small sized in-ground pool that won’t take ages to clean, if your budget is tight (manual pool vacuums cost between $100 and $200), and if you are a perfectionist.
Suction Side Automatic Cleaner – This type of in-ground pool cleaner is used for fine dirt particles in your pool, such as sand. This cleaner is connected to the skimmer and sucks the dirt and debris that will be passed onto the filter directly.
This type of cleaner also act as scrubbers as they move around the pool floor and walls. The downside is that it will give more work to your filter so you have to clean the filter more and get a pump/filter that is cost efficient and durable.
Pressure Side Cleaner – Get this type of cleaner if you have a lot of large debris such as leaves, twigs and nuts. This cleaner works by using the pressure made by your pool pump.
The pressure enables the cleaner to move around and collect debris and dirt that will go straight to a separate filtration bag. The only downside for this is you might have to install a separate booster pump; otherwise this cleaner might not function as effectively.
Robotic Pool Cleaner – If you don’t want to supervise cleaning all the time, get the robotic pool cleaner as this one is a self-contained machine that goes off on its own to scrub the floor and walls. This type of in-ground pool cleaner is obviously more expensive.
The cheapest one may be around $600 and it can go up to $3,000 depending on the brand and the size. However, it may prove worth it, as robotic cleaners are very efficient at cleaning both with small or fine debris and big debris like leaves and nuts.
It holds its own filter bag and wouldn’t put pressure on your pump and filter. This is also an eco-friendly alternative because it runs on its own power and won’t add to the electricity consumption of the pump.
Solar Powered Pool Cleaner – This is the most eco-friendly of them all because it uses solar power to function. However, it can only clean debris from the surface such as leaves, nuts, acorns, and other dirt that floats on your pool. This cleaner will not scrub and clean the floor and walls.
What are the recommended in-ground pool cleaner brands?
Water Tech Pool Blaster Max (Manual Pool Cleaner)
- Powered by rechargeable, Lithium Ion battery technology.
- Easy push-button on/off swithc.
- Comes included with (1) reusable X-Treme Multilayer Filter to pick up large and fine debris!
This cleaner works perfectly on any surface: concrete, tile, vinyl, or fiberglass. It is also very easy to handle and use because of its lightweight parts. It comes with its own hoses, external pumps or electrical cords and enables it to operate completely free of any connection to the main filter system.
Baracuda G3 Advanced Suction Side Automatic Pool Cleaner
- Quiet, powerful suction cleaner; works with low-speed pumps for maximum efficiency.
- Devours small and medium-sized debris and cleans floor, walls and steps of your entire pool.
- FlowKeeper Valve automatically regulates water flow to maintain peak cleaning performance even with lower horsepower pumps.
This cleaner thoroughly scrubs and cleans floors and walls and keeps the water free from dirt, debris, bugs, twigs, and leaves. It cleans your pool quickly and quietly without putting too much burden on your filter and pump. Its compact and self-adjusting flow control valve automatically regulates water flow, ensuring peak performance
Zodiac Polaris Vac-Sweep Head and Hose Pressure Side Pool Cleaner
- Powered by triple jets and advanced cleaning technology
- Works in all in-ground pools of any size and shape.Tail Sweep PRO Compatible
- Sweeps, scrubs, and vacuums the bottom and walls of your pool.If they are low or the wheels are not spinning then check the in-line filter for debris. If clear and the wheels still aren't spinning then check the water management system for clogs. If the RPM's are slightly below the prescribed range then remove the restrictor disc from the wall connector. If the wheels are moving too quickly then install the red restrictor disc
This cleaner requires a separate booster pump to function well. Double jets power this cleaner for greater vacuum power and faster cleaning. It has its own single chamber filter bag where captured debris is stored, ensuring that your filter won’t be troubled. Polaris cleaners are the number one recognized brand of pool cleaners worldwide and have enjoyed 40 years as the top selling pressure pool cleaner.
Dolphin Nautilus Robotic Pool Cleaner with Swivel Cable
- Plug & Play. Easy to use. Single button control for simple operation backed by a 1 manufacturer's assurance. Ideal for in-ground pools up to 50 feet.
- No random patterns. CleverClean Technology scans your pool and uses advanced algorithms to efficiently clean your pools floor and walls.
- Dual scrubbing brushes give twice the cleaning power to attack tough dirt. Large bottom-load cartridge filters combined with a high suction rate captures leaves and fine debris leaving your pool sparkling clean in 3 hours.
Effectively scrubs, vacuums, and filters your swimming pool with minimal assistance because it can work freely on its own. It will climb walls preventing dirt or algae build up. In just about 3 hours, your entire pool will be sparkly clean. It has easy to clean cartridge filter with spring clean up filter and patented swivel cable helps prevent tangling.
Floatron Solar Powered Natural Pool Cleaner
- HIGHEST QUALITY: Solar panel is under thick covering allowing our product to last years longer than our competitors. Beware of cheaply built alternatives.
- Our Solar-Powered Cleaner will prevent algae and reduce the amount of chlorine and chemicals up to 85%. No other chemical product is necessary or recommended. Our ionizers work perfectly fine with small amounts of Chlorine and, consistently, the pH becomes very stable.
- The power of the sun works with an underwater ion-disbursing anode to release copper ions that are very effective at killing algae and keeping your pool clean and pure
This low maintenance cleaner powered by solar panels effectively captures debris and eliminates algae and dirt. It is not only portable and cost-effective; it also reduces the use of chlorine by 80%. The low maintenance system requires very little attention.
With the pros and cons listed above for each in-ground pool cleaner type, hopefully you will be able to decide which cleaner is right for your needs. Remember to put into consideration the size of your pool, your budget, and the capacity of your filter and pumps. Cleaners are a great investment because it will keep your pool hygienic and in tip-top shape.